Since I just sailed on Holland America’s Oosterdam ship, what better time to “steer” you toward some of Amsterdam's must-see sights? It’s no secret that Amsterdam is one of the most exciting cities in Europe to visit. With its rich history, artistic legacy, intricate canal system, and abundance of museums, you’ll find so much to see in the time you are there. Here’s a list of the top 5 things to do while you’re in Amsterdam.
1. Take a historical canal ride. The water tours of Amsterdam are some of the most desired.Since there are hundreds of canals throughout the nation that were created just for travel, give this popular attraction a try! During your gentle water ride, you’ll get to view some of the country’s most detailed architecture and beautiful landscapes.
2. Take a walk through the wildflowers. Amsterdam takes great pride in their bulb flowers,especially tulips. Visit the vibrant flower park in Lisse if you wish to see the tulips in all their glory. If you happen to miss tulip season, don’t worry. There are plenty of bulbed flowers that grow year round at the park.
3. Visit one of the many spectacular art museums or history museums. See paintings by Rembrandt, Van Gogh, and other world-renowned artists or revisit history by walking into the Anne Frank House to see the secret annex where Anne hid during World War II.
4. Walk through De Wallen, the nation’s red-light district. Although it’s famous for some risky behavior, there is much more to the city. Try one the district’s fine restaurants, small boutiques, or find more responsible entertainment at any of the places not lit up with red lights. For a faster way to venture through, rent a bicycle. You’ll find that you can rent a bike nearly anywhere in the country.
5. Try authentic Dutch cuisine or experience one of its cannabis coffeehouses. People travel from all over the world to encounter these coffee shops in person. In Amsterdam, marijuana is simply a way to unwind, and these coffeehouses are some of the most reputable and reliable sources to enjoy a delicious bite to eat and a puff of smoke as you dine.
Contact me when you're ready to be amazed in Amsterdam!